Civil Service Disability Retirement

You may be able to retire with a Civil Service Disability Retirement Pension if you become disabled while working for the Federal Government.

It doesn't matter how old you are, but you must meet several requirements:

  • You must have at least 5 years of creditable service
  • You must become disabled while performing your government job subject to CSRS coverage
  • You must be able to prove that the disability will last longer than one year
  • Your agency must certify that they are not able to accommodate your disability, and that they have considered you for other vacant positions
  • You (or your guardian) must apply to OPM for disability retirement before you separate from service, or up to one year after you separate from service

Medical Exams

The Federal Government may require you to get regular medical exams to prove that you are still disabled. You will have to pay for these exams and if you do not submit the results of an exam on time - your Civil Service Disability Retirement checks will stop.

CSRS Disability Pension

The amount of your CSRS Disability Pension will depend on how many years of creditable service you have, and your age.

The minimum disability pension you will receive is the lessor of...

However, if your regular earned CSRS pension would be higher than the minimum CSRS disability pension - you are entitled to your regular CSRS pension.

In most cases, if you have more than 22 years in service, or are older than age 60 - you will get your regular earned CSRS pension.

More Information On CSRS Disability

We have just covered some basics on Civil Service Disability Retirement. There are many more rules and requirements before you can receive a CSRS Disability pension.

If you think you may qualify for CSRS Disability - be sure to seek help from someone familiar with CSRS benefits.

You can also refer to OPM's chapter on Disability Retirement in the CSRS Handbook.

Return from Civil Service Disability Retirement to CSRS Retirement